Department of Botany
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78713-7640, USA
Phone: 512-479-7987 (H), 512-471-3364 (O)
1995--now: Department of Botany, the University of
Texas at Austin, for Ph.D.
1990--1995: Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, M.S.
1986--1990: Department of Biochemical Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, B.S.
screening of subtracted cotton fiber cDNA libraries.
Cloning of plant callose synthase catalytic subunit using EST walking. Functional study of the protein.
Cloned the CP genes of PVX, PVY and PLRV Chinese isolates, constructed plant expression vectors containing two or three different CP genes and acquired corresponding transgenic potatoes, some of which were resistant to virus coinfection. Field tests are under way.
Tested using the synergic antibacterial activities of the modified Cecropin and T7 lysozyme. The two genes were fused with PR1b signal sequence respectively and put in a plant expression vector. Transgenic tobacco was confered enhanced resistance to Pseudomonas solanacearum. Also took part in the study of MLO (mycoplasma like organism).
Used TMV CP subgenomic promoter, barnase gene and TMV 3’ non-coding sequence to construct a vector in which these genes were in antisense form and transform the vector into tobacco. Attempted to produce barnase when TMV infects the transgenic plants, a strategy of artificially induced cell death.
Cloned the key enzyme genes involved in the synthesis path of biodegradable plastics PHB in Alcaligenes eutrophus. Transgenic potato were obtained with the genes driven by patatin promoters.
Design a project of enhancing potato tuber starch content (similar to that of Monsanto Co.). Tried to increase plant tolerance to stress of chillness, drought and high tempreture by transforming SOD and catalase genes.
During fall semester
of 1995, TA Cellular and Molecular Biology course of 170 freshmen in Division
of Biological Sciences. Since
1996, TA Cell Biology Lab course in the Botany Deparment.
During the undergraduate and graduate study period in China, gave several lectures or seminors about plant genetic engineering to researchers and graduate students.
Awards and Honors
Exempted from the
national university entrance examination.
Won first and second prizes in the university contests of advanced mathematics, chemistry , molecular biology and undergraduate student’s research project exhibition.
Honorable titles ‘excellent student of Shanghai city’, ‘student model’ and ‘excellent undergraduate student of Shanghai city’ were conferred.
Exempted from the Chinese Academy of Sciences entrance examination for graduate student.
Member of Chinese Society of Biotechnology.
University of Texas at Austin Summer Tuition Fellowship and Professional Development Award.
1. Xiaojiang Cui, Heungsop Shin, R. Malcolm Brown, Jr., The cotton CGS1
gene shows homoloy to the yeast ?-1,3-glucan synthase subunit FKS1, submitted
to Plant Physiology.
2. Heungsop Shin, Xiaojiang Cui, R. Malcolm Brown, Jr., Biochemical characterization of a 170 kD polypeptide associated with beta-1,3-glucan synthase activity, submitted to Plant Physiology.
3. Xiaojiang Cui, Liu Zhiqiao, Tian Yiangchuan, Peng Xuexian, Advances in the research of antibacterial peptides and the propects of their application, 1995, Prog. Biochem. Biophys., 22(1):5-8.
4. Xiang Yu, Yang Lanying, Zhou Xuerong, Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Resistance of transgenic tobacco expressing coat protein of potato virus Y, 1995, Chinese Journal of Virology, 11(2):158-162.
5. Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Status and prospect of transgenic potato in China, 1994, Chinese Biodiversity, 2 (supplement):72-74.
6. Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Advances of plant genetic engineering in anti-microbial pathogens, 1994, Chinese Biodiversity, 2(2):96-102.
7. Xiaojiang Cui, Huang Wenjin, Liu Zhiqiao, Peng Xuexian, Mang Keqiang, Expression of T7 lysozyme and its fusion proteins in Escherichia coli, 1994, Chinese Journal of Virology, 10(2):178-183.
8. Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Shen Yufei, Mang Keqiang, Cloning and sequencing of PLRV coat protein gene and construction of vectors for transgenic potato resistant to coinfection of PVY, PVX and PLRV, 1994, Chinese Journal of Biotechnology, 10(2):185-189.
9. Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Zhou Xuerong, et al., Molecular analysis of transgenic potato with three virus coat protein genes, 1994, Chinese Science Bulletin, 39(21):1992-1995.
10. Song Yanru, Peng Xuexian, Xiaojiang Cui, et al., Construction of plant expression vectors and identification of transgenic potato plants, 1994, Acta Botanica Sinica, 36(11):842-848.
11. Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, A simple efficient DNA purification method, 1994, Microbiology, 21(2):122.
12. Huang Wenjin, Xiaojiang Cui, Tian Yingchuan, Lin Mulan, Peng Xuexian, Construction of the vector for transgenic plants resistant to bacterial infection, 1994, Acta Microbiologica Sinica, 34(4):261-265.
13. Huang Wenjin, Xiaojiang Cui, Lin Mulan, Peng Xuexian, Advances in the study of mycoplasma like organism, 1994, Microbiology, 21(1):37-40
14. Huang Wenjin, Xiaojiang Cui, Peng Xuexian, Advances in plant anti-bacterial genetic engineering, 1993, Prog. Biotech., 13(6):17-19.
15. Xie Anyong, Xiaojiang Cui, Song Yanru, Cloning and Sequencing of PHBb and PHBc in Alcaligenes eutrophus H16 and construction of their plant expression vectors, 1995, Acta Botanica Sinica, 37(8):581-588.
Very interested in the regulation of gene expression during cell development and signal transduction. Wish to get a research or teaching position in the molecular biology area in high education system or companies. Also prepared to undertake biotechnology application, such as metabolic engineering. I believe that the progress in biology research will improve our life quality and the outlook of environment around us.
Next Lab Member
Back to Brown Lab Group